Customer Care

For billing information, account balance and service transfers call (281) 353-9756 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. each working day. At Hays Utility South Corporation you will find our Customer Care specialists to be very helpful with your water service billing questions. All calls to our Customer Care representatives are recorded for quality assurance. Please have your account number ready when calling to discuss your water service bill. To help you understand our billing process, the procedures are as follows: Each month, our reading specialist records your water meter reading. The Customer Care department keys in your reading and reviews this entry for unusual usage. The water consumption is then processed on the basis of your District’s Rate Order. Your monthly bill is then processed, printed, folded and inserted with a return envelope and mailed to you at the address on your account. Payments are received and are deposited to your District’s bank account daily. Our payment processing department posts your payment with state of the art bar code equipment that applies your payment to your account. It is important that you return your payment stub with your monthly payment. This helps us to provide seamless posting of your payment. If a payment is received after the due date, the District’s Rate Order may require that a penalty be added to your account. Depending on your District’s policy, a delinquent notice may be mailed or a door hanger delivered to your property with details regarding service disconnection. Each activity is performed in strict compliance with your District’s Rate Order. Each customer is encouraged to contact our Customer Care specialists to resolve any dispute or answer any questions that you may have. Customer Care staff will record details from your conversation for future reference. If required, a work order will be issued to investigate any problem with the District’s facilities. The Customer Care department will promptly call the customer back with the technician’s findings. The information will remain in our database maintained by our on-site computing center. Hays Utility South Corporation is always connected to the needs of our customers. Our certified technicians and licensed operators are highly trained to perform the services listed below for our customers and the water districts we serve.

Emergency repairs

  • Water quality issues
  • Meter leaks
  • Sewer stoppages
  • Sewer manhole repair
  • Water tap installations
  • Main line leak and break repair
  • Sink hole investigation and repair
  • Meter box and lid repairs

For the inquiries concerning any of the issues listed above, call (281) 353-9809 Our service specialists, certified technicians and licensed operators maintain the highest standards in supplying you with quality water and water service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our system offers a high level of flexibility to supply your Board a detailed report of all activity within your water District. This is how Hays Utility South works for you: Pride, detail, quality workmanship and a dedication to superior personal service.


Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my Water Bill so high?

Ninety-nine percent of high water bills are caused by internal plumbing conditions or something that happened at your property that caused a large loss of water. Although calling a plumber is your choice, Hays Utility South Corporation representatives are happy to give you helpful hints on how to identify leaks.

Why is my water off?

Water may be turned off due to one or more of the following reasons:

  • We have not received payment of your monthly water bill
  • Your payment check may have been returned to us “NSF”
  • If you recently moved into the property, your account may not be set up
  • Repair work is being performed on a line that serves your property
  • A malfunction may have occured at the District’s water plant. If so, we are working on it.

Note If you are an apartment tenant, first check with the resident manager or owner of the apartments to see if they know the reason the water is turned off.

What is a Municipal Utility District?

A Municipal Utility District (MUD) is a special purpose governmental entity of the State of Texas. Regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the MUD’s primary function is to provide water, wastewater and in some cases, drainage services within its boundaries. A MUD may sell bonds, levy and collect taxes, provide and charge for water and sewer services, build infrastructure, condemn property, enforce restrictive covenants and make regulations to accomplish its purposes.

Important Terms

Account Number

Account number is a fifteen-digit number located at the top right hand corner of your water bill, just below the bar code that specifically identifies your account.

Bar Code

The bar code at the right hand portion of the remittance portion of the bill identifies your account specifically to you.

Board of Directors

All Municipal Utility Districts are managed by an elected Board of Directors. Each Director on the Board is a resident or a property owner within the boundaries of the District. The Board of Directors conducts a meeting, usually every month, to transact the business of the District. These meetings are open to the public and you are welcome to attend the meetings of your District. You may contact our office for the time and location of your District’s meeting.  (281) 353-9809

Bar Code Scanner

Reads the bar code at the top right hand side of your bill. The bar code identifies your account specifically to you.

Consumer Confidence Report

Utility Districts are now required to produce and deliver to you an annual report of water quality for the previous calendar year. This report, the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR), is delivered by July 1 of each year.  The report discusses the contaminants that are commonly found in drinking water and the Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCL) that are allowed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. The report lists the contaminants that have been detected in your drinking water.  A copy of the most recent CCR is available upon request.  To request the CCR for your District, please contact us at (281) 353-9809.   But Don’t Worry, Your Water is Safe to Drink The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is the state agency that monitors the water chemistry of all public water suppliers in a very careful way. Anytime there is a condition that develops in a public water system that exceeds the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL), quick action is taken to identify, confirm and notify the affected public of any potential hazard. The water utility is required to take immediate action to correct the problem.


An emergency is any condition that may threaten or interfere with water or sewer service to any customer or may cause damage or harm to any property or person.

Payment Stub

Payment stub is the bottom portion of the bill that you detach and return with your payment. It contains information that identifies your account specifically to you.


A penalty is a fee that is assessed to your account because your payment was not received by the billing office on or before the specified due date. The District’s Rate Order is very specific in determining when and how a late penalty is assessed. Only the Board of Directors of your District can authorize a waiver of late penalties. If you feel that you have circumstances that warrant a waiver of a penalty, you must write to your District’s Board of Directors at P.O. Box 1209, Spring, Texas 77383, stating your case. We will gladly present your letter to the Board on your behalf. Again, only the Board of Directors of your District can authorize a waiver of late penalties.

Rate Order

The Rate Order is a legal document created by each Municipal Utility District. The Rate Order specifies the rates that are to be charged to all of its customers. It sets policies and procedures for monthly water and sewer service rate schedules for all user classes, security deposit schedules for customer accounts, penalty fees for delinquent accounts, disconnect fees for delinquent accounts, procedures and important dates for billing of accounts, requirements for new taps and connections to the District’s system, and water tap fee schedule.

Water Meter Reading

The water meter is the only thing that tells us how much water was used at a property. It is similar to the odometer in your car. It keeps a running total of all water that has entered the property. The water meter is read every month and that reading becomes the basis for your monthly bill. Your monthly usage is calculated by subtracting the previous month’s reading from the new reading.

Water Quality

The quality of the water that you drink is very important to you and to us. Our goal is to provide the best quality water that is available to your District. Your drinking water comes from water wells that are fed by three major aquifers in the Texas Upper Gulf Coast area. Some of these wells produce a higher than normal concentration of iron, manganese and total hardness. You may from time to time experience water that is colored or may have a taste or smell that is directly related to these minerals. To control or reduce the incidence of these conditions, we periodically flush the water mains in your District to keep the water fresh.   Also, for several years, the North and West Regional Water Authorities have supplemented ground water from local wells and also with surface water that is supplied to certain Utility Districts that we manage. The Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District is also working currently to provide surface water to their customers as well. All three of these water authorities have websites that are linked on our Home page. Please visit these websites for more details relating to surface water and its future in the Houston Metropolitan area.

Your water service bill

Your account is billed on the basis of each 1000 gallons that is used during the billing period. The billed amount is calculated by applying the minimum or base amount (example: $10.00 for the first 3000 gallons) plus the rate per thousand gallons used. The usage for the current month is shown on your bill and is located in the top left portion of the page.